25 Mar Information COVID-19 Andorra. Newsletter 5
Newsletter COVID-19. Number 5 – Update
Escaldes-Engordany, March 30th, 2020
First border restrictions applicable to the Principality of Andorra, adopted on March 24, 2020
The strict mobility measures applied by neighboring countries, which include the closure of land borders, complicate the arrival of people into Andorra.
In this sense, since March 24th the usual free movement of people has been limited, legislated by the regulations established at the European Union level by the bordering countries with Andorra, as is the case in Spain:
- Order INT/270/2020, of March 21st, which establishes criteria for the application of a temporary restriction of non-essential trips from third countries to the European Union and Schengen area countries for public order and public health reasons relating to the sanitary crisis caused by the Covid-19. Similar measures have also been adopted on the French border.
- Order INT/239/2020, of March 16th, by which controls in the inner land borders have been reinstated, due to the sanitary crisis caused by the Covid-19. Similar measures have also been adopted on the French border.
- Notwithstanding the above, such legislation shall not be fully applicable on the land border with Andorra, maintaining the possibility of carrying out police controls in the vicinity to verify the compliance of the exceptional regulations associated with the state of alarm.
In this sense, to point out that given that the border control measures are not entirely applicable to Andorra, the Principality only allows into the country:
- Cross-border workers.
- Residents with a green card.
- Andorran Nationals.
- Cases of force majeure, urgency or extreme necessity.
Therefore, we recommend avoiding unnecessary trips either to or outside Andorra, as well as we ask for your responsibility to help contain the COVID-19 as much as possible.
Notwithstanding the above, the limitations of the journeys and the circulation of people can be affected by the interpretation of the regulation by the authorities and executives of both Andorra and its bordering countries, and therefore we recommend that before doing a cross-border movement, you inform us in order to analyze its suitability and if you need any additional administrative document.
Finally, we inform you that, since March 24th, there have been dozens of limitations on the free circulation of people at an international level. In fact, the USA has prohibited European entry into the country for 30 days, nationality has been vetted in 110 countries and new restrictions are emerging as days pass.
Approval of the Decree of 27-3-2020, which adopts additional exceptional measures concerning the return to the Principality of residents and nationals after a stay abroad during the days of health emergency
Due to the rapid and unpredictable evolution of the health crisis caused by COVID-19, not only in Andorra but also in the surrounding countries, the Andorran Government has been forced to take additional measures with regards to border limitations, in order to prevent the increase of infections in the country.
Given that some of the nationals and residents who return to the country during the days of the health emergency may have been in contact with people infected with COVID-19 during their stay abroad, on March 27 the following was approved:
- Home confinement. Residents and nationals returning to the country after a stay abroad, as of March 30 and during the days of the health emergency, are required to stay in at home for fifteen calendar days. These persons will have to communicate their return to the Principality on-line to the Ministry of Health and be duly identified.The isolation measure is subject to the provisions in the Decree of March 4th, which adopts the conditions to benefit from the economic aid, for people in isolation due to the epidemic and the current health emergency situation, as well as its modifications.Notwithstanding the foregoing, the measure will not apply to people displaced in Andorra to work on essential services, if however, appropriate health control measures will be taken.
However, it is anticipated that any breach of the above measure may be sanctioned in accordance with the provisions of the Health Law.
Finally, a reminder that the team from ANCEI will continue to keep you informed of all the novelties that the Government adopts in relation to the exceptional measures.
We remain at your disposal.
Jaume Torres Segura
Partner at ANCEI